Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week 5 EOC: Social Networks and Job Hunting

Facebook is a step away from tracking cursors on your computer and portable device screens to understand your tastes better, the company’s top official has vouched in an interview. The project is part of a huge increase in the volume of data collection.
The social site’s analytics chief, Ken Rudin, has revealed his corporation is ready to introduce a technology that would enable the collection of even more information about a web-surfer via cursor movements on your screen, the Wall Street Journal reports.
While you’re apparently aimlessly working your computer mouse or touchpad, pondering where to click next while running through a webpage, your brain is actually making choices - MANY choices at a time.
And Facebook is determined to collate them, in order to understand better how you choose your selections and what you’re really interested in, even if you’re to some extent unaware of these choices yourself.
The captured information is stored in data banks, with immediate access “throughout the company”. This is invaluable for many purposes, such as product placement analysis or targeted advertising, Mr. Rudin said. Facebook can even divulge your sexual preferences, if it needs to.
Mr. Rudin revealed that collected personal information is divided into demographic and behavioral.  The first deals with your physical whereabouts and the places you frequent. The second is more subtle as it deals with your preferences, likes and loves. This is actually more revealing of yourself and your personality.
When, for perhaps just a split second, you ponder whether to click on a link about Rhianna’s new haircut, and then refrain from following it – it won’t save you. 


Collecting demographic personal information is relatively easy; private investigators have been collecting that kind of data for a long time, whereas psychological profiling is a delicate matter. But Facebook, which introduced another powerful personality data collection tool – ‘likes’ - might eventually turn artistic psychological analysis to profit. 


I have heard about it but not looking into it, my Wednesday instructor was talking about it I personally use Facebook. To know my family and friends who I haven't seen in such a long time and find me, not weirdos. I saw the number rising and lowering the numbers, the last number I saw was 56.87 something like that. I couldn't remember why Facebook went out there, I had a twitter account but I don't go on there until I'm in school, not to biggy. But if something happens to Facebook I'm going to cry about it, I mean social media is such a big drama I think. Quite honestly Facebook is that, for example my cousin Rosa deleted my sister, father, and my other cousin just because we spread "rumors" about her. Which it's not true, so by deleting us makes her feel bigger? I thought it's funny, overall I have no idea what Facebook is doing, if something happens like I said I won't be upset about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment